It’s the 13th and I already have a list of how cray August 2016 has been for me. Let’s go in order, shall we?
- I got an amazing review for FY16 and found out I was nominated for the the Individual version of my company’s most elite award. The Individual Contributor Award is a *huge* honor. Hundreds of people get nominated and only a handful will actually win. Last year I won the award as part of a larger team – one of four large teams. This year I’m nominated for my solo work. Last year I bought an Elizabeth and James dress that cost an ungodly sum. This year… I don’t even know, man.
- I fell in my kitchen at 10pm on Friday (same night as the review, btw) and both of my front teeth snapped off. This was pretty much my worst nightmare – ever – and the only reason I can even discuss this now is because 2 weeks later my teeth look better than they looked before the fall. For proof, here’s a photo of me and Pants taken about 4 hours after my permanent crown was installed, my brightening treatment was complete, and the novacain wore off. If you want the details, ask. But otherwise I’m not going into detail about this now, or ever.
- I swung by the Hillary rally in Kissimmee because a) it was close to work and was easy for me to kill my commute time, b) I had nothing better to do (again, that damn commute time), and c) I’ve seen the POTUS and FLOTUS speak so I figured it would be nice to add a potential future POTUS and former FLOTUS to my list. Though a series of pretty bizarre events, I ended up scoring a spot in the crowd directly behind Hildawg and the podium. Which also means I was photographed by a shit ton of professional photogs and the next day my coworkers saw me on TMZ because the father of the Pulse shooter was also in the crowd.
- I found out I won the Individual Contributor Award discussed in #1. Annnd my boss told me via a slide in a deck covered in cat memes, a deck that we’ve been working on for months… as I was walking to another meeting. I cried. I started shaking. I basically lost my shit and I couldn’t (and still can’t) tell anyone at work until the official announcement!!! And yeah I’ve already got like three dress options.
- I saw Slightly Stoopid and SOJA in Cocoa Beach (four hours after getting my teeth fixed!) with Lauren and it was awwwweeeessooooommmmmeeeee!! Pants turned out to be a natural live-music-concert-fit with me. We were totally in synch about moving up close, moving to the side, stepping back for air, getting a drink, and deciding to bounce. Rare is the friend who is always on the same page as you at a live music event. Don’t take those friends for granted, people. The venue itself was awesome – spacious, plenty of room to dance, plenty of room to step back and enjoy the riverfront area with lots of seating, and tucked away in the adorable little downtown Cocoa Beach area.As for the music, it was great. SOJA was awesome, as always, and I think this is the 3rd time I’ve seen them be awesome. Slightly Stoopid was freakin’ great and sadly this is the first time I’ve seen them live despite literally trying 3 times before. But the best part for me? Karl Denson, my major older brown man who can play every woodwind ever created Jamcruise crush, is an unofficial member of Slightly Stoopid and was playing sax on stage.The result was that i took way more photos than I usually let myself take at a live music event. But… KD!!!
Also, Pants found an amazing little spot to eat in Cocoa where I stuffed my hurting-face and bought a Rick Pipers picture for my art-wall. 🙂
So yeah. August has been pretty insane but the good news is I’ve survived! I’ve survived and am actually even better for it all. I’m stronger, I’m wiser, I’m more confident. And I’m ready for whatever the rest of August holds! 🙂