It’s no secret that I’ve been working on myself through therapy, meditation, yoga wheels, weight loss. Inside and out, I’ve spent a lot of time trying to make me the best me I can be.
So when I saw Deepak Chopra was coming to Orlando to speak, I was like “alright!” A lecture on higher consciousness on a Wednesday night after work? Sign me up!
Vince and I used Lyft to get us from Altamonte to the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center (The DPAC… where I saw Deepak…heh…) and we literally showed up 5 minutes before the “show” started and got as big of a drink as possible.
I didn’t know what to expect from a lecture with this description:
- Are we in the midst of a major paradigm shift in science?
- Is there an ultimate reality?
- Does consciousness conceive, govern, construct and become the physical universe?
- Is the universe becoming self aware in the human nervous system?
- Is the next stage of human development conscious evolution?
- Do we have the ability to influence the future evolution of the cosmos?
- How does our understanding of consciousness as pure potentiality enhance our capacity for intuition, creativity, conscious choice making, healing, and the awakening of dormant potentials such as non local communication and non local sensory experience?
- How does our understanding of consciousness also enhance our capacity for total well being (physical, emotional, spiritual, social, community, financial and ecological)?
- Chopra will address all these questions as well as practical ways to experience higher consciousness, transformation and healing.
Turns out the lecture was focused on how our mental health effects our physical health and featured a guided meditation.
The guided meditation had questions… and I actually knew some of the answers.
It started after an hour of Deepak telling us the importance of our mental state effecting our physical state. He then asked us if we were ready to meditate and you could hear the entire crowd shifting to get comfortable. Feet flat on the floor, hands in our lap, eyes closed… we were all silent and you could FEEL the energy change.
I sat super quiet and listened carefully. The first question was “who are you?” And I was shocked when I felt like I KNEW the answer to this one: *I* am a soul, a little ball of light and energy nested inside of this shell. I am energy, excitement, eagerness, exuberance, and enthusiasm.
The second question was “why are you here?” And I knew that one too! I’m here to love, to experience, to stand in awe at life on this planet – human, plant, pet – and to live as much and as fully as possible.
I thought about my Dad and Lexi (oddly enough), and how I knew more than their bodies, I knew their SOULS. And it was like I could so clearly see those souls. It was kind of weird, actually, but aligned with Deepak’s discussion with “we are not our bodies, we are experiencing our bodies as they change.”
Now, I’m not sure if I was having a religious experience or going into a trance or maybe I was drunk or maybe, just maybe I was legitimately meditating in a room full of 200+ people. Either way, I was, like, THERE, man.
As we were meditating, Deepak Chopra was telling us “you are not breathing, you are being breathed.”
After we came out of meditating, he asked us about our being, our awareness. I was taking notes as fast as I could in Google Keep and I loved how he articulated our soul as separate from our body:
“Being and awareness is prior to thought. The molecules of our body stride and subside… everything is changing, except for the solid presence of our being. Thought arises, it is in time, but the self is immortal,… endlessly stretching, the self is timeless – not of time. Memory is in your being. It doesn’t exist in your brain – your being retrieved it.”
He asked us to repeat our full name… then just our first name… then just the sound of the universe. And then, after some parting thoughts, he let us go…
If you need a giant reset button pressed on your soul, check out Deepak Chopra’s website, books, or guided meditation app that he created in partnership with Oprah. <3